We created the Beauty Biz Roundtable BBR series as a way to foster networking and idea-sharing among beauty industry executives in Los Angeles.
We love the high-energy and excitement during these events but what we LOVE more are success stories like LAID Brand.
LAID Haircare Founders, Adam Rauch and Derek Shaw, have been inspired by BBR events. Adam and Derek have been to 4 BBR events, when Laid Brand Professional Hair Care was only an idea in their heads. The information, connections, and post event meetings and conversations with BBR attendees have shaped what the brand is today. From meeting with the Michael Gordon, founder of Bumble & Bumble to meeting Kim Vo, to networking with packaging suppliers, it is safe to say that Laid Brand Professional Hair Care would not be the same without these experiences.
Derek noted that “Our company (Laid Brand Professional Hair Care) has gone from concept to planning to launch in the year that we have been attending these events, and we owe our success in part because of the wonderful forum Frances and her team have created.”
Adam adds that “”BBR has provided Laid Brand Professional Hair Care with access to invaluable resources such as supplier contacts, educational resources, and first hand insights from some of Beauty’s top executives. The round table format creates the ultimate entrepreneurial “speed dating” environment. The amount of networking we do in 3-4 hours would take weeks or monthswithout going to the event.”
So what is LAID Haircare all about? We sat down with Derek and Adam to get the scoop!
1. What is the inspiration behind LAID Brand? Celeb-Hair Stylist, David L. Hensley, comes from a family of artists and stylists. His 15 years in the haircare industry in treating each client’s cut, style, and procedure as a work of art, is the spirit and inspiration behind the LAID brand. David saw a gap in the professional haircare product marketplace and wanted to create a brand that conveyed and delivered the lifestyle of passion, artistic expression, creativity and confidence.
2. What is the origin behind the LAID Haircare name? The origins of our name are actually inspired by a single product, LAID Pomade. It was the first product David and Adam created prior to the formation of LAID brand. It was meant to be sexy, primarily for Men, and it had very limited appeal, especially with women (David’s Primary Client Base). The name, however, did resonate with the consumers we were trying to attract. It turned some people off, but that was ok, because they probably won’t get it for a while, but early adapters, trend setters, and people with confidence did get it. It was this feedback that encouraged us to keep the name. Often times, brands have to be overly sexual in their branding and imagery to communicate how their consumer “should” feel about the brand. This allows us to be unexpectedly focused on creating pieces of art with our imagery and convey confidence brought out by our model, rockstar, athlete, and artist models.
3. How did all 3 LAID brand founders meet? Adam Rauch, Laid Brand’s CEO, is a serial entrepreneur at heart. Originally from Philadelphia, PA, Adam has excelled as a sales and marketing professional within the technology and cosmetic surgery sales industries, working in PA, FL, and CA. Adam and David L. Hensley befriended each other in Tampa, FL (David was Adam’s stylist), where they originated the concept of Laid Brand in 2009.
In looking to expand their vision and their team, Adam reached out to Drexel University classmate, Derek Shaw, who became Laid Brand’s GM. Derek is a business strategist who has has the fortunate experience of working for companies such as Johnson & Johnson, and Crabtree & Evelyn. His background in Sales, Marketing, Finance, and Operations helps to create the foundation for Laid Brand’s corporate direction. Like the rest of the team, his vision is to create something bigger than himself, and to do it differently than anyone else has.
4. How is LAID brand different from other celeb haircare brands? Laid Brand Professional Hair Care is not just a brand, it’s a lifestyle. Yes, we have something nobody else has (Pherottraction technology), and our formula’s are second to none, but our essence is rooted in the artful expression of our imagery which embodies our core consumers. Quite simply, we describe the lifestyle as where the model meets rock star, and where the athlete meets artists. Our lifestyle is provocative, unexpected, and empowering. David is this lifestyle. He lives it and breathes it every day, and that is something nobody else can replicate.
5. Tell us more about “Pherottraction.” Does the LAID brand have scientific proof that Pherottraction works? The complex pheromone blend that is Pherottraction, has been tested and validated by 3rd party academic institutions. Disclosing the exact references would reveal some trade secrets, however, our FAQ page on our website articulates how synthetic pheromones work.
6. Where can LAID Brand products be purchased? We can be purchased at laidbrand.com, and even through our own LAID Brand Rocker Stylist App. We are intentionally using our flagship salons as our only physical locations right now because we are working through some exclusivity deals that would put our products in the hands of key influential consumers. Click here to download our free Rocker Stylist iphone App!
To learn more about LAID brand, visit: http://laidbrand.com/
For aspiring entrepreneurs like the LAID Brand founders, who are thinking about launching a beauty brand, stay tuned for details on BBR8 coming soon on August 22nd!